Proper hydration is essential in order to stay alive and healthy, thus the importance of drinking adequate water can not be over emphasized. Water is quite beneficial and easily accessible yet a lot of us take its availability for granted. Health benefits of drinking water are numerous and in-exhaustive,here are few.
1. It helps with weight loss : Adequate intake of water decreases appetite and hunger and thus making you eat less.Water also has zero calories.
2. It helps the heart function better by supporting the heart.
3. It prevents certain skin conditions, clears the skin of any toxins and also gives the skin a younger and healthier appearance.
4. It boosts the immune system, fights infections, thus reducing the likelihood of falling sick.
5. It enhances digestion thereby preventing constipation and piles.
6. It makes exercising easier by boosting energy and regulating body temperature.
7. It improves concentration thereby increasing productivity because dehydration slows down mental performance.
8. It stops dizziness and reduces the intensity of headache especially in people who are susceptible to headache and migraine.
9. It reduces the risk of certain cancers like colon cancer(cancer of the large bowel).
10. It improves oral health because dehydration reduces saliva production which is a predisposing factor to dental diseases.
Tips for drinking more water
- Start your day by drinking a glass of water when you get up in the morning.
- Try to drink about 2 litres of water per day.
- Drink a glass of water before and after meals.
- Carry a bottle of water with you whenever you leave home.
- Always choose water over soft drinks.
- Keep a close check on your urine, it should be pale yellow in color (water helps maintain a healthy urinary system).