1. Nausea and Vomiting: Many pregnant women experience a degree of nausea and few vomit.This complaint occurs mostly during the first 3 months of pregnancy usually referred to as morning sickness but gradually disappears at the end of this time. The cause is usually a form of sensitivity to the hormones released during pregnancy.It occurs usually when the woman wakes up in the morning or gets out of bed. Some women have severe vomiting called hyperemesis gravidarum which means excessive vomiting during pregnancy which requires hospitalization.
- Eat meals in small portions
- Drink fluids between meals
- Eat at times of the day when nausea is less severe
- Eat a few dry meals like biscuit,snacks before getting out of bed in the morning
- Consume more of foods that contains protein e.g beans,nuts,cheese
- Eat more foods high in calcium and potassium e.g carrots,milk,cheese,yam,green leafy vegetables,soybeans.
- Eat small meals more frequently
- Take a glass of milk when the heart burn occurs
- Sleep propped up with one or two extra pillows
- Try antacid tablets or liquids as prescribed
- Eat more fruits and vegetables
- Drink lots of water
- Do light exercises everyday like walking
6. Swelling of the ankles and legs : This is called oedema and it is as a result of retention of fluid in body tissues during pregnancy. An average expectant mother is said to retain about 3 to 6 litres of fluid hence,oedema is a common occurence in pregnant women. Swelling of the feet in the evening is usually not serious but severe swelling during the day especially when the woman wakes up in the morning is a warning sign of pre-eclampsia which is a life threatening condition that requires hospitalization of the woman for proper medical care.
- Sit with your feet raised as often as possible.
- Avoid stressful activities
- Take frequent rest periods
- Have frequent cool baths
- Drink plenty of water
- Dress in cool and comfortable clothes.
PLEASE IF YOU EXPERIENCE SEVERITY OF ANY OF THESE DISORDERS,VISIT THE HOSPITAL